Thursday, July 5, 2012

Designing a shared baby/toddler room

Ever since I found out I was pregnant with a girl, I was so excited to start a little nursery for her. I'm not big on the traditional pinks and purples and I have to keep in mind that she is sharing a room with her big brother so I will keep the ruffles to a minimum.

We had recently started to decorate Parker's room in "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" theme, but I didn't want that theme for the baby's side. Thanks to Pinterest I have found so many ideas that I would love to incorporate into the room they will be sharing.

We did pick up the nursery bedding last weekend. We kept the bedding fairly neutral, to make coordinating a bit easier. Not to mention I have always LOVED the lamb bedding from Pottery Barn. I decided not to buy the mobile. I'm not a fan of that and hope to be able to find some whimsical I can make to match the set.






I'm dead set on doing chevron stripes on one wall in the room. It will be more of a light brown than pink. I think they are so cute!






I will definitely be doing a picture/sayings collage wall in the room. I'm so bad at putting up pictures in the house and this will be a must do project for the room. If you see the cute flag/bunting banner in the lower left picture, I would also love to do that in the room as well.




Photobucket


We have 3 windows in the room and we just purchased curtains for two of the windows and so for the third window, where the crib will be, I'm going to be making some ruffled curtains. I hope to have enough time to do full ruffles the length of the curtain, but if that doesn't happen I will do a few rows of ruffles along the bottom border.




Photobucket


We decided to forgo the toddler bed with Parker and instead I'm making him a hanging "tent" bed. Here is the basic pattern I will be using. I will be making the main portion solid white or creme and the top a brown to match the crib set and then will be adding Hungry Caterpillar applique' accents all around and making a couple Hungry Caterpillar pillows. I'm still researching the mattress. I was thinking at first to buy a rounded crib mattress as it would fit pretty good, but it's still up in the air.

Aww, I would have LOVED to have this when I was a kid. How cool would it have been to sleep in an awesome tent like this! Maybe it's just me...




Photobucket


The closet in the room is small and seems nonfunctional except for hanging clothes and hiding toys. I'm debating painting the closet a light coordinating color like they did in this nursery.







Now, just to get to work! I'm so excited about the project, yet I know it will be a lot of work.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...